Strawberry Simple Syrup
As I’ve experimented with the syrup recipes I’ve found that the kind of berries I used corresponded to how much syrup I would need to get my preferred taste. Strawberries are at their peak of flavor in the summer even though we can get them year-round. Depending on the source of your berries, from frozen to organic and season, you will find a different level of sweetness and tartness to your fruit. This affects your syrup. I prefer using organic strawberries year-round because they seem to maintain a better flavor. Keeping this in mind, I found that the amount of syrup I need is less when the berries are at their peak of flavor. The range of syrup I used to get the perfect Strawberry French 75 Cocktail has been anywhere from .5 ounces to 2 ounces depending on what kind of berry I was using. Start with the .5 ounces but experiment with the minimum amount of syrup you need and adjust to taste keeping this in mind. Have fun experimenting! The recipe to create the strawberry syrup below.
Strawberry Heart Cocktail Garnish
To create the cocktail garnish, skewer strawberry hearts on a cocktail pick and place it in the cocktail. Directions on how to create the strawberry heart garnish in the photo below.
In the instructional photo above, I left the strawberry heart whole which is one option. To get the heart slices that you see skewered on the cocktail picks above, slice the back and front of the strawberry heart. You choose the look you prefer.
The Strawberry French 75 would be a great choice for your Valentine’s or Galentine’s day celebrations. Let me know if you give it a try. Cheers!
Strawberry French 75 Cocktail
- 1.5 oz Empress Gin 1908
- .75 oz fresh lemon juice strained of pulp
- Champagne or Sparkling wine
- .5 oz Strawberry Simple Syrup or to taste
- Ingredients for Strawberry Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup strawberries-quartered
- 3-4 whole strawberries for garnish optional
- cocktail pick to add strawberry garnish optional
- Instructions to make the cocktail
- If you choose to garnish the cocktail with the strawberry hearts prepare cocktail pick per the instructions in the blog using the whole strawberries. Prepare the strawberry syrup first. Instructions below.
- Shake all the ingredients minus the sparkling wine in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Strain mixture into a champagne flute or coupe.
- Top glass with chilled champagne or sparkling wine and garnish with strawberry hearts. Enjoy!
- Instructions for Strawberry Syrup
- Add the water and sugar with the quartered strawberries to a saucepan.
- Let the mixture simmer until sugar has dissolved and berries are tender for about 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let it cool completely.
- Strain into a bottle/jar making sure to squeeze any excess juice from berries.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it will be good for two weeks.